Windows XP Boot-up Screen of Death

The occurrence of a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) is one of the most feared issues for any digital signage operator that's using Windows (note: I'm not anti-Windows, similar things can happen on any O/S) . Unfortunately, due to the static nature of pictures, it isn't obvious that the digital signage screen featured here defines a new type of crash/issue to fear: the WXPBSOD.

The rear-projection screen that I caught in Montreal's CN building was somehow stuck at a Windows XP Boot-up Screen of Death. The little animated bar underneath the rainbow-like window frame XP users are all too familiar with was stopped in the left position and the boot-up sequence never made it past this screen.

This is quite perplexing--I'm pretty sure I've never seen or heard of something like this happening. I'm thinking the most likely cause is a hardware failure and it made the video jam.

Although this isn't as bad as this BSOD at this Vegas hotel, it still leaves a bad impression. I wonder who installed the signage? Comment if you know.

Comments